Friday, August 6, 2010

MY ALEX CLASS: IT TOOK A WILD SHAPE-FANTASY

An ordinary day and an ordinary class…yes it was boring, like I was any surprised. I always said I needed a moment which could inspire me to write anything, and then it was….

Alex Chandy, my sports journalism lecturer, was talking about sports…or wait, was it about cricket. It seemed to me and many more that he was somehow obsessed with cricket only. He talked about people from cricket, cricket endorsements, cricket ads, cricket jersey, cricket, cricket, and cricket.

Then I thought, maybe I was wrong in thinking that there were other sports in the world too!

Luckily, to break my chain of thoughts came the Commonwealth Games. It saved the day for us…no that’s what we all thought, until that became his next obsession…and while he preached on my friend Flora said, “Sir, you mean ‘commonless’ games?” obviously not loud!

He told us that we should follow the news about this ‘commonless’ games which somehow a few of us were doing. All that inefficiency of the government and the horrible lack of management show how wonderfully it has been planned. Delhi is in a mess and the people are at their wits end bearing the nuisance each day! It is all about the big words, big money and no use! Nonetheless, hope continues that one day it would be good. Hope, it aways remains, work shall follow anyway!

Then the topic moved on to money. This time it was about how the media earns huge chunks of money from sports. Or maybe even the other way round. It’s always about money isn’t it?

Cricket followed again. My chain of thoughts started running again. This time I wondered if he had any idea about any other sports. Then I thought it has been just two classes let’s wait a little longer. What’s the harm?

I caricatured him, kept writing about what he was speaking, being barely interested in what the class was all about because somehow I could not consider it as sports journalism but cricket journalism.

I am not really fond of cricket sorry sports journalism so there was a minimum interest I had towards the class. This interest came to end with his closing speech on how sports journalism was important with examples mainly from the world of cricket.

Everyone around me thought what was so interesting about the class that I was taking down notes of what my Sir spoke. I just held up the caricature and said, “This is what it was all about!”

No comments:

Post a Comment